The allure of the cheesecake… nature’s seductress. Often seen as the enemy due to its devastating macros.
Fortunately, here it is, reverse engineered. We have been eating dangerous amounts of high protein, low-calorie density cheesecakes. They mostly require only 3-4 common ingredients, and average 360kcal for the whole cake.
Here is a variety of Propane-approved recipes, using lower fat, high-protein substitutions:
via Propane Athlete Tom K Macros: 22C/32P/6F – 1 sachet of sugar free raspberry jelly – 2 espresso and some boiling water to mix the jelly – 250g Quark – Digestive biscuits or oats as the base – Melt and pour one square of dark chocolate while the topping is halfway set – Leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours
James’ shreddy orange cheesecake: <1000kcal for the ENTIRE THING!
400g – fat free cream cheese
250g – fat free quark or greek yogurt
2 whole eggs, separated
0.5 scoop of vanilla whey or casein
roughly 10 tsp sucralose (can be substituted for stevia or sugar if you want more carbs)
1 tsp vanilla essence
zest of one lemon or orange
3 digestives or chocolate cookies
1tbsp ground flax
– preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
– blitz the cookies in a mini food processor or just smash them up somehow.
– mix with the ground flax 1 egg yolk a little quark.
– press into the bottom of an 18cm cake tin.
– bake for about 10mins until slightly more golden that it was.
– mix the rest of the ingredients together, except the egg whites.
– beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
– fold them into the mix until well incorporated.
– bake at 100 degrees for about ten mins, then reduce the heat to 120 degrees and bake for another 30-40 mins. Until the top is deep, golden brown.
Pro tip: if you use orange instead of lemon, add .5tsp of cinnamon to the batter and sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar over the base after you bake it. Amazeballs. If you want to make a bigger cake, ie a 24cm cake tin, you have to roughly double the recipe. Also increase the cooking time by about 50%.
Via Propane Athlete Tom K
Macros per cake: 34C 30P 6F Ingredients: – 15g Butterscotch angel delight – 250g quark – 100g mashed banana, – 1 scoop banoffee or chocolate whey – Base: 2-3 crushed digestives, bound with some mixture Makes two.
Strawberry & Ginger Cheesecake
Another Tom K classic
Macros for 2 cakes: 44C/35P/11F Filling: 250g quark 15g strawberry angel delight powder 60ml milk Ground ginger Base: 2 crushed ginger biscuits with a bit of the mixture used to bind them Chill the mixture for 1-2 hours. Produces two medium sized cakes, Cinnamon on top to finish.
Peanut-Butter Oreo Cheesecake
Thanks to Happie for this, see the recipe here
Baked Protein Cheesecake
via Redditor FanofPawl: Macros – 66C/165P/12F
Jonny’s low carb cheesecake + pizza:
Macros: 98C/222P/60F for both
In a bowl with hand-held electric whisk, mix 300g low-fat Philadelphia (light or extra light both work), – 200g cottage cheese – 1 pack of gelatine/crystallised jelly, dissolved in boiling water
Once smooth mix 1 packet of whipping topping in a bowl, add to rest of mixture.
Base: Put oats in a pan with 1 teaspoon or melted butter or some of the filling mixture – creates a flapjack texture. Line the base of a springform pan with this and pour topping in.
Place in a fridge for 2-3 hours.
Cauliflower Pizza recipe:
– 1 kg of frozen cauliflower: heat in microwave, drain water then mash as finely as possible – Squeeze as much water out as possible here to bind better. – 3-4 tbsp parmesan, 100g low fat shredded cheese, 1 egg and herbs of your choice, mix together.
Press the ball of ingredients flat into a pizza pan and put in a preheated oven until brown. I add cheese on top with about mins to go and cook all the topping in a separate pan while it cooks.
PaulNotSmall’s Lemon & Ginger Cheesecake
Paul shares our minimalist attitude, and bangs out mouth-watering recipes often with only 3 ingredients.
Full recipe here.
Quick coconut/muesli cheesecake
via James B
Cherry cheesecake with rocky-road base:
– 1 small pot Danio cherry yoghurt – 250g quark – Sachet of zero calorie raspberry jelly crystals – Mix with 100ml boiling water in a shaker – Base: 15g oats, 2 biscuits + Medley Rocky Road bar, with some mixture to bind it
As above, but with lemon quark & lemon jelly.
Bojan Kostevski’s moderately naughty white chocolate raspberry cheesecake:
Macros per slice: 19C/8P/16F
Three classics from Anna at Protein-Pow:
Macro Mitch: Choc Orange Protein Cheesecake
Made with greek yoghurt, orange zest, cocoa and almonds. Really innovative and looks beautiful.. hnnnggg. Full recipe here.
Finally, for those with a brazen disregard for macros: Oreo & Rees’s cups cheesecake:
Recipe for paleo version – lol jk.
If we can make these, with our culinary ineptitude, then you should have no problem. Enjoy.